Socialist Appeal is the Marxist voice of Labour and youth. We stand for the socialist transformation of society. We are fighting for a socialist Labour government.
In Britain we are fighting to drive out this reactionary Tory government and bring to power a Corbyn-led Labour government on a socialist programme.
With a deepening, worldwide crisis of capitalism, we are in the forefront in fighting for the implementation of a bold socialist programme. This includes fighting for:
- A mass campaign to force a general election now. Drive the Tories out. Fight for a Corbyn-led Labour government committed to socialist policies.
- End austerity, reverse the cuts, and provide full funding for the expansion of public services.
- All workers must be guaranteed a decent job and a real living wage, with a weekly income of at least £500.
- On the basis of automation, cut the working week to 20 hours, with no loss of pay. No redundancies; share out the work.
- Put an end to unemployment, homelessness and poverty, which are a product of capitalism.
- Fight for the real emancipation of women; end all forms of discrimination; equal pay for work of equal value. Provide free nurseries and after-school childcare. Defend a woman’s right to choose.
- For a fully-funded and free state education system. Kick the privatisers and profiteers out of education. Abolish student fees and loans and provide full grants for all students.
- For a fully-funded National Health Service, free to all. All privatisations must be reversed. The pharmaceutical companies and private health companies that leech off the NHS must be nationalised under workers’ control.
- For a publically-owned nationally integrated transport system, under the control of workers and passengers.
- For a crash programme to build a million council houses a year. Nationalise the land, building companies and banks to provide the resources to accomplish this aim. Slash rents to no more than 5% of net income.
- End Trident and other weapons of mass destruction. No job losses. Defence contracts to be converted into socially useful projects.
- The retirement age for all workers to be reduced to 55 years, with proper pensions to ensure a decent standard of living for the retired.
- Repeal the Anti-Trade Union laws. Organise the unorganised! All union officials to be regularly elected with the right of immediate recall by the membership. Officials to receive no more than the average wage of a skilled worker.
- Scrap Universal Credit and introduce benefits linked to a living wage for all those sick, disabled and unable to work.
- A massive programme of public works to build roads, hospitals, schools, railways, etc.
- Abolish the national debt, which has been paid over and over again.
- End the rule of the billionaire class! The introduction of an Enabling Act by a Labour government so as to bring into public ownership the banks, finance houses and insurance companies to bring the financial sector under control. In addition, to nationalise the commanding heights of the economy – the 150 monopolies that dominate the economy – without compensation to the fat cats, and run under democratic workers’ control and management.
- Support for small businesses and farmers, squeezed and exploited by big business.
- Abolish the relics of privilege and feudalism: the monarchy and the House of Lords. The assets of the parasitic landlord class and aristocracy should be expropriated for the public good.
- Draw up a democratic plan of production overseen by committees of workers, pensioners, students, technicians and others to fulfil the needs of society and protect the environment.
- Establish a Socialist Britain based upon a fraternal Socialist Federation of England, Scotland, and Wales. For a Socialist United Ireland.
- No to a bosses Europe! A class appeal to the workers of Europe to establish a Socialist United States of Europe. This will provide a stepping stone to a World Socialist Federation and world socialism. This would end once and for all the miseries of hunger, disease, famine, wars, the ravages of climate change and ethnic conflict.
To accomplish this aim of changing society we need to complete the transformation of the Labour Party. The Party has shifted leftwards, but many in the Parliamentary Party are opposed to this and are opposed to Corbyn’s leadership. Many are right-wing careerists, who see their positions as a stepping stone to higher things. We therefore campaign to introduce:
- Mandatory reselection of Labour MPs, to place our representatives under the democratic control of the membership.
- All Labour representatives should only take the average wage of a skilled worker, with expenses vetted by the Labour movement.
- To guarantee such a bold socialist programme, the mass of workers outside of Parliament must be mobilised to support these measures, prevent the sabotage of big business, and carry it into practise.
If you agree with these aims, join us!
Help us in the fight for revolutionary change:
Contact us (using the form below) and get involved with local Socialist Appeal activists.
Help us sell Socialist Appeal in your area, workplace, university or school.
Share our online articles through social media.
Send us in a letter, report, or article of interest.
Make a regular financial contribution or donation to our fighting fund.