The Tories are the political representatives of big business. As defenders of capitalism, they are the sworn enemies of the working class.
Neither do we have trust in Keir Starmer and the right-wing Labour leadership, who are taking the party back to Blairism.
The capitalist system is in a complete impasse. It cannot be reformed. It must be overthrown.
We are fighting for bold socialist policies to defend workers and challenge the capitalist system.
- Answer the cost-of-living crisis with a £15 per hour minimum wage. For a sliding (rising) scale of wages, with increases in pay, pensions, and benefits automatically linked to prices.
- If the bosses say they can’t afford this, we say: Open up the books! Let the working class and the labour movement see the accounts! If firms plead bankruptcy, they should not be bailed out, but nationalised under workers’ control.
- For a fully publicly-owned and free health service, under workers’ control and management. Reverse all privatisation and outsourcing. All private health and care services must be nationalised without compensation, and integrated into the NHS.
- Fight the climate catastrophe and inflation with expropriation and socialist planning. Nationalise the energy monopolies, big supermarket chains, and distributors, without compensation.
- Ban evictions and cancel housing debts. Give local authorities the power to cap rents at affordable levels. And bring empty properties and the assets of the big landlords and management companies under public control.
- For a mass programme to build a million council houses a year. Nationalise the land, construction companies, and banks to provide the resources to accomplish this.
- To fight job cuts and unemployment, work should be shared out without any loss of pay, in order to lower the hours of the working week.
- Repeal the anti-trade union laws. No to class compromise. All union officials to be regularly elected, with the right of immediate recall by the membership. Officials to receive no more than the average wage of a skilled worker.
- Fight for the real emancipation of women. Remove all barriers to women working: provide free nurseries, after-school childcare, and care for the elderly. End all forms of discrimination. Equal pay for work of equal value.
- Abolish the relics of privilege and feudalism: the monarchy and the House of Lords. The assets of the parasitic landlord class and aristocracy should be expropriated for the public good.
- Scrap tuition fees and student rents. Free education and full maintenance grants for all. End marketisation – kick the profiteers out of education. Put staff in control in schools and universities.
- Many small businesses are faced with bankruptcy – squeezed not only by the banks, but by the big monopolies. By nationalising the banks we can supply these small businesses with the lifeline of guaranteed low-interest credit.
- The financial resources required to fight the crisis must not come from increased taxes or more austerity, but through the nationalisation of the banks and finance houses. Rather than a ‘wealth tax’, we call for the expropriation of the monopolies.
- Instead of building up the national debt through government borrowing, the money needed should be obtained entirely from expropriating the accumulated profits of big business and the billionaires.
- No to austerity! Reverse the cuts! The working class must not pay for this crisis!
- For a mass campaign to bring down this criminal Tory government and do away with this rotten system!
It is clear that the market has failed and capitalism is in a deep crisis. It is the anarchy of capitalism that prevents the rational planning of society’s resources, in Britain and internationally.
- We therefore stand for the nationalisation of the 100 biggest monopolies, banks, and insurance companies – under workers’ control and management – without compensation. They have stolen enough from us already. On this basis, the economy can be democratically planned in the interests of the majority, and not for the super-profits of a few billionaires.
- As internationalists, we fight for a Socialist Federation of Britain linked to a Socialist United States of Europe and a World Socialist Federation, in order to plan resources internationally for the benefit of all. This would allow humanity to begin solving the urgent issues of climate change, disease, and poverty that face society and our planet.
There is, however, a crisis of leadership in the labour movement. Those who have attempted to patch-up capitalism have been found wanting.
It is therefore time to energetically build the forces of Marxism, embodied today in the International Marxist Tendency, which alone offers a revolutionary way out of this crisis.
If you agree with these aims, join us!
Help us in the fight for socialism:
Join an online reading group covering classic Marxist texts (using the form below).
Help us sell Socialist Appeal in your area, workplace, university or school.
Share our online articles on social media.
Send us in a letter, report, or article of interest.
Make a regular financial contribution or donation to our fighting fund.