Marxist theory is the cornerstone of the struggle for socialism. But theory without practice is sterile. The best way to learn Marxist theory is not in isolation and passively, but by putting these ideas into practice.
For Socialist Appeal education is not the 'cherry on the cake'. It is at the centre of everything we do. We run reading groups all over the country and we take these ideas into the labour and student movements. We cannot change society if we do not understand it.
If you are interested in attending one of these, please head over to socialist.net/join and fill out the form. Make sure to tick the box ‘Join an online reading group’ and we’ll be in touch!
Below are also a series of reading guides meant to help readers understand the Marxist classics on our reading list. We have posted them in the order that we recommend reading.
- Communist Manifesto (PDF)
- Socialism: Utopian and Scientific (PDF)
- State and Revolution (PDF)
- Transitional Programme (PDF)
- Wage Labour and Capital (PDF)
- Value, Price and Profit (PDF)
- “Left-Wing” Communism: an Infantile Disorder (PDF)
- Imperialism: The Highest Stage of Capitalism (PDF)
- The Origin of the Family, Private Property and the State (PDF)
- What is to be done? (PDF)
- Reform or Revolution (PDF)
- The Class, the Party and the Leadership (PDF)
- Where is Britain Going? (PDF)
- Ludwig Feuerbach and the End of Classical German Philosophy (PDF)
- Anti-Dühring (PDF)