- Tuesday, 08 January 2008
- Written by Socialist Appeal
Socialist Appeal and the International Marxist Tendency fight for a socialist programme for workers and youth. Read the Manifesto of the International Marxist Tendency for a more in-depth explanation of what we are fighting for.
What We Are Fighting For
Our aims are modest. We stand for a new society – a socialist society - where all our resources, the factories, land and technology, are used for the needs of the majority and not the profits for a handful of billionaire parasites.
- We demand a decent life for all, where everyone has a good job, a comfortable home and a decent living wage for them and their family. Unemployment, homelessness and poverty, all created by capitalism, are a crime against humanity in this age of potential superabundance.
- We demand a first rate free education for our children, who are our future. We demand a free health service that is second to none.
- Rather than squander our wealth on weapons of mass destruction and wars, we should reduce the retirement age to 55, and provide the elderly with the means to live well.
- Abolish unemployment by reducing the working week to 30 hours or less with no loss of pay. This will also allow time for people to participate in the running of industry and society, and to enjoy art, culture and leisure to the full.
- Faced with the nightmare of capitalist crisis, we stand for the abolition of the rule of the bankers and the expropriation of the billionaire oligarchy. The capitalist system (the so-called “market economy”), the monarchy and other feudal relics, must be placed in the dustbin of history.
- A Socialist government to take over the “commanding heights” of the economy, the top 150 monopolies, banks and finance houses, which dominate our lives, without compensation and placed under democratic workers’ control and management. Establish broad committees of workers, students, pensioners, technicians and others to oversee the drawing up of a democratic socialist plan of production to answer the needs of society and protect our environment. We shall harness the wonders of modern science and technique, not to act as a burden as under capitalism, but instead to raise our living standards and oversee the abolition of class divisions. We base ourselves on the principle “from each according to their ability, to each according to their needs.”
- A Socialist Britain, made up of a federation of England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland, would act as a beacon to workers everywhere. It would serve to spread socialist revolution to crisis-ridden Europe and rest of the world. World Socialism would lead to real international co-operation and put an end, once and for all, to the miseries of hunger, disease, squalor, wars and ethnic conflict.
“Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression, and violence and enjoy it to the full.” (Leon Trotsky)
This will not happen by itself - every worker, student, unemployed person, young and old, must get involved in the fight for socialism. You cannot stand on the sidelines – your voice is needed!
If you agree with these aims, join us!